Monday, October 6

Thing #14: Library 2.0

No startling revelations here, just an observation: my major Midwest Library needs to work on the "inviting customer comments" piece.

Of course, we have carefully planned public meetings and other formal opportunities for the public to tells us what they think of us. We also have blogs for customer feedback. I think we need a method for recording feedback and comments on individual items in the library's collection. One of the articles mentioned an experience where customers could "rate" items. Personally, that's my favorite part of Websites such as cduniverse.com and Amazon. I love finding other people who are passionate about the same movies and music that I am.

Isn't the library growing from a "come and borrow place" to a "come and do place" where people can share their common interests? I welcome Web 2.0 technologies as an easy way to collect and make transparent feedback from customers about our collection and our perceived value to their lives.

1 comment:

Graeme said...

I might look at this the other way around. If you have a constant process of change that's hungry for comments, the process will find the comments, once it gets hungry enough.

So I wouldn't ask, "Have I heard from my patrons today?", but rather, "Have I changed something today?"