Monday, October 6

Thing #17: Online Productivity Tools

I began using Google Docs during an Academic Libraries class. We worked in small groups, and the groups shuffled members every week. Rule #1 was that everyone in the class was required to have a Gmail account.

For one assignment each group had to create a spreadsheet of detailed information about different research universities - number of students, size of library, that sort of thing - and we couldn't have done it if not for a shared spreadsheet on Google. It's an awesome, albeit basic, tool.

As Google and other online toolkits become more full-featured and reliable, Microsoft will have a tough time selling its top-shelf Office suite.

"Tell me again, why should I spend $600 on your productivity suite that's full of tricks I never use, when I can get one for free?"

I'm not willing to ditch Excel just yet, but the day will come, and soon.

No comments: